Friday, December 13, 2013

AND THE GREATEST OF THESE IS LOVE

I'll admit it; there have been times I felt mis-educated. You see, I was told that I should not take things that didn't belong to me; or tell lies to gain the advantage, even over an enemy. My father told me that I should strive for The Good always; that there are things in life that have infinitely more value than money. And my mother said that a real man is comfortable with his feelings. That Love is the greatest force in the world.

So, that evening, after Mister Wilcox's class, I was packing up my books when Bon and Tracy started arguing. Till today, I don't know what it was about, but Bon kicked her with his Timberlands. I didn't think it was right, so I pushed him into the chairs. When he scrambled back up, I knew I had a fight on my hands. No yawa. I took a deep breath, and clenched both fists.

 

But, you see, Ja'afaru is not just my friend; he is my brother. And when he saw what was about to happen, he came from behind, locked both arms around me, and said, 'No, Dike…Don't do this.' And because I didn't think it was right either, to struggle with a brother, I watched – everything in slow motion – as Bon (nobody had gone to hold him) launched a fist. Ah! I tried to turn away, but it still broke my glasses when it landed, cut me too, just above the left eye.

 

And I thought: 'THIS – right here – is what Love (or Integrity, or whatever name my parents want to give it) does; it pins you down so the bad guys can punch you!' Honestly, it made me sad. So, I told Jafar later – 'Why did you hold me, man?' But he only shrugged. You see, this particular friend of mine is not one for lengthy explanations. So, one day, when I asked him to teach me how to shoot a basketball, he got up and showed me, once. And when I kept getting it wrong, said: 'Bend your knees. Extend your arm. Let your wrists snap, as you release the ball." And after another period of silence, added:  "You know what? Close your eyes. Forget the basket. Just focus on how you're shooting."

 

So, I did. I still can't play basketball to save my life. But, my brother, I will never forget the lesson Ja'afaru taught me that afternoon. You see, if all you care about is getting the ball through the hoop, then it is quite easy really; just throw it in any how you like. But! If you want to be a basketballer, then (no pun intended) it's a completely different game. It's exactly what my parents said. You can talk your way into anyone's heart when you don't really care how you do it. The downside is you'll never find the real thing; for when it comes to true love, there's no way round taking off the mask and telling the Truth. Even at the very real risk of rejection.

 

And that is what makes greatness – REAL greatness – so hard to find; it occurs at the rare junction where conscience and success meet. Like when you shoot a basketball with eyes closed, totally immersed in executing the technique. And you stand there waiting, till you hear your friend whooping loudly. And, even then, you still struggle to believe it.  That the ball you launched in total darkness, trusting only in the principles you had been taught, had found its target, perfectly.

 

So, yes, my friend, I think Madiba is truly great. For, in this same world, where good people are too often disadvantaged, he didn't reach for hate or anger, and (imagine that) still scored a sorely needed point. Not easy to admit it, but the old man proved my mum right – Love (when it works) does put on the greatest show on earth. It's just that, honestly, mastering how the thing works is extremely difficult, especially now I've grown accustomed to getting stuff at the slight touch of a fibre-optic screen. But, yes Mum, I won't stop trying.



Image taken from:

http://www.buro247.com/images/tribute-to-nelson-mandela-philakashi-designboom02.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment