Friday, December 27, 2013

TOUCH ME IN THE HEART

Have you ever found yourself, broken, on the floor?
Face against the carpet, you're staring at the door
And when it creaks open slightly, in that little space
From the corner of your eyes, you see a tiny face
The face of a young girl, your daughter
Looking back at you, her mother:
Face against the carpet, staring at the door
Begging…her father not to hit you any more?

Have you every tried to rise
To rise up to your knees
And for those children you decide to bite back your cries?
Shielding back of head and neck
Shielding vital organs
From this same man that walked you to the altar
Begging him – "Please, don't hit me in the belly
Hit me in the back or face, but please don't hurt my baby?"

Have you ever tried to stand huddled in a corner?
Trapped between his jealousy and his raging anger
Knowing that the line is thin between his love and hate
And his fury may not wane until it is too late?

Have you ever sat and thought:
My God, where will I go?
How will I start my life again?
How did I end up here?
My children sleep in the room next door
I cannot leave them here
Have you ever sat and thought:
I'll stay because of them?

Sometimes, the thing we think is strength, my friend, is truly weakness
To think someone who hurts you loves you, that is truly madness
To think, somehow, to see you battered will make your children better
To think someone as old as you is too old to start over
Sometimes, the thing we say is Truth, my friend, is truly nonsense
To think someone who hurts you loves you, that is truly madness
To think it virtue - staying on until the bitter end
You need to get up, get up now, and walk away, my friend

For Love is not these broken ribs, this hiding in the dark
And Love is not to be afraid, to fear even to speak
Love is not when lovers' hands are quick to grab your neck
And land those punches on your face, then kick you in the back
No. Love is gentle. Love is kind. And speaks with measured voice
Love will catch you when you fall, not trip you up and shove
Love is patient. Love is wise. It has no need for force.
Love will catch you when you fall, not hold you down and squeeze…

Ah!
Can it be?
Beautiful woman
No one ever made you see?

Not in the face. Not in the back. 
Not in the middle of your swollen tummy…

The only place Love should ever hit you
Is deep inside your heart.


Image taken from:
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Society/Pix/pictures/2009/4/17/1239968413109/Survivors-of-violence-Eth-003.jpg

The lady in the picture is Ms Margaret Aberdeen, a dedicated activist against Domestic Violence. To learn more about her work, you can visit her website:
http://margaretaberdeen.com/


1 comment: